“BC introduces simple, Low Cost ORV vehicle registration in an effort to reduce theft”
"Key components of the ORV Management Framework include:
- Expanded definition of ORVs:
- ORV laws apply to a wide range of vehicles operated on Crown land and other public lands.
- ORVs are used for work, leisure and commuting purposes and include snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles (aka “Quads”), off-road motorcycles (i.e. dirt bikes) and side-by-sides (e.g. “Pioneer”).
- Effective November 17, 2014, off-road vehicle owners can obtain a one-time registration for off-road vehicles that is integrated within the pre-existing structure of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia’s (ICBC) motor vehicle registry.
- The registration fee is one-time and user-pay; it will be $48 for an ORV owner to register their ORV and the same applies for subsequent transfers of ownership.
- The improved ORV registration scheme, along with a visible number plate, will better assist officers in identifying irresponsible ORV riders, help track down stolen ORVs and assists in search and rescue efforts in finding lost or injured riders."
-Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations. Off Road Vehicle Management Framework, Nov. 2014