2015 Honda VFR800
The VFR800 aficionados border on fanatical. They demand the very best in their machines and are reluctant to settle for anything less. This can make changing the VFR a risky proposition at best. Operational changes have to improve function while maintaining the delicate balance between performance and comfort that the VFR is so famous for. Similarly, changes to the styling have to respect the original while providing an elegant, contemporary look. Finally, the VFR has always been a technological leader, so cutting edge technology is an essential part of the VFR formula. Oh, and it has to be available in red.
VFR enthusiasts rejoice, the 2015 VFR800F has all this and more.
The legendary and trademark V4 engine has been retuned for even more, low-end and midrange power, while the VTEC transmission has been softened to provide strong linear power throughout the rev range. The twin-spar aluminum chassis features an all-new Pro-Arm single-sided swingarm as well as an all-new 43 mm front fork redesigned to accommodate radial-mount, four-piston brake calipers. Styling has returned to a more traditional VFR silhouette with a single, low-mounted muffler, replacing the twin under-seat exhausts. Considerably slimmer through the middle, the VFR is also a full 10 kg lighter than its predecessor, making it significantly easier to manoeuvre.
Retaining VTEC, Pro-Arm single-sided swing arm and ABS brakes, the new VFR adds traction control, LED headlights, sophisticated self-cancelling turn signals and an optional shift assist system to its technological credentials. Final touches include an adjustable seat and standard heated grips. And this time it’s available in red and in white!
VFR800F- the legend renewed
- Engine Type: Liquid-cooled 90-degree V-4
- Displacement: 782 cc
- Bore & Stroke: 72 mm x 48 mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.8:1
- Valve Train: Chain-driven DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
- Fuel Delivery: PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final Drive: O-ring-sealed chain
- Front Suspension: 43 mm HMAS cartridge fork with stepless spring preload adjustability; 108 mm (4.2 in.) travel
- Rear Suspension: Pro-Link HMAS single shock with spring preload and rebound damping adjustability; 120 mm (4.7 in.) travel
- Tires: 120/70ZR - 17 front; 180/55ZR - 17 rear
- Brakes: Front dual 310 mm floating discs with radial four-piston caliper; rear 256 mm disc with dual-piston caliper.
- Seat Height: 789/809 mm adjustable (31/31.9 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1,460 mm (57.5 in.)
- Curb Weight: 239 kg (526.8 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride
- Fuel Capacity: 21.5 litres
- Colour: Victory Red, Pearl Glare White
- Warranty 12 months, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus
- The 782 cc, liquid-cooled 16-valve DOHC 90° V4 engine with VTEC received significant development – focused on cam timing and valve duration/overlap – to deliver the required increase in low-to midrange power and torque.
- VTEC valve timing still operates one pair of inlet/exhaust valves per cylinder at low rpm, and then switches to four as revs rise but the transition is now seamless. Combined with the uprated torque, the effect is remarkably linear power delivery and effortless overtaking at highway speeds.
- PGM-FI fuel injection – with 36mm throttle bodies – has been remapped to suit the engine’s new performance parameters, and improved fuel economy means you can keep going for up to 350 km per tank.
- Honda’s Traction Control System (TCS) is fitted as standard equipment. It’s operated from the left handlebar and provides additional security in a wide variety of riding conditions and situations.
- The diamond triple-box section aluminum twin-spar frame is mated to a revised die-cast aluminum sub-frame that is 3kg lighter than the previous model. In total, curb weight is reduced by 10 kg to 239 kg.
- Completely new are the aluminum single-sided Pro-arm swingarm and 43 mm Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS) telescopic fork. The fork features stepless spring preload adjustment and 108 mm of wheel travel; the HMAS gas-charged rear shock operates through a Pro-Link suspension linkage with remote spring preload and stepless rebound damping adjustment.
- The two-piece fork lowers have been redesigned to accept radial-mount four-piston brake calipers. New Fine Die-Cast (FDC) hollow aluminum wheels employ dual 310 mm floating discs up front and a 256 mm disc at the rear. 2-channel ABS provides consistent and safe all-weather stopping control.
- ‘Elegant Sport’ is the essence of the VFR800F and its stunning new bodywork not only provides a contemporary outline, with a mixture of sharp angles and soft curves it also pays respect to design elements from the VFR’s history – including details like the small air intake duct on the fairing’s flank.
- The VFR-signature ‘X’ headlight shape is updated and now features LED lights – a first for Honda. Positional lights are integrated with the wing mirrors, just like the VFR1200F. At the rear, the wide, angular tailpiece offers plenty of room for a pillion and features an LED rear light unit with combined indicators for a clean uncluttered look.
- Width around the middle cowl has been reduced by 40 mm giving the VFR800F a slim and compact feel. The seat is height adjustable (789 mm or 809 mm) using the tool provided and a handlebar height spacer, adding 15 mm of lift is available as a Honda Genuine Accessory.
- The VFR800F’s self-cancelling indicator system is unique to Honda. Rather than using a simple timer it compares front and rear wheel speed difference and calculates when to cancel the turn indication relative to the riding situation.
- A new dashboard houses a digital speedometer/tachometer plus gear position indicator, ambient temperature gauge, fuel consumption information and clock. There’s also an indicator for the 5-stage heated grips, which are fitted as standard.
- A compact automotive-style ‘wave’ design key – with internal grooving – reduces the chance of breakage.
- Engine Type
- Liquid-cooled 90-degree V-4
- 782 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 72 mm x 48 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
- Front Suspension
- 43 mm HMAS cartridge fork with stepless spring preload adjustability; 108 mm (4.2 in.) travel
- Rear Suspension
- Pro-Link HMAS single shock with spring preload and rebound damping adjustability; 120 mm (4.7 in.) travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual 310 mm floating discs with radial four-piston caliper
- Rear Brakes
- 256 mm disc with dual-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- 120/70ZR - 17
- Rear Tire
- 1,460 mm (57.5 in.)
- Seat Height
- 789/809 mm adjustable (31/31.9 in.)
- Fuel Capacity
- 21.5 litres
- Dry Weight
- 239 kg (526.8 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride
- Final Drive
- O-ring-sealed chain
- Victory Red, Pearl Glare White
- 12 months, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus