Off Road Registration
Voluntary Registration for Off Road Vehicles has been extended until November 1, 2015. After this date you will be required to now register all off-road vehicles.
You can wait to register until the process gets smoother Highlights of the announcement
- The voluntary registration period has been extended until November 1
- Decals will be provided OR you can fasten a license plate
- If you already have a license plate you will be able to exchange it at no charge for a decal
- It remains your responsibility to remove the decal or license plate if you sell your vehicle
“BC introduces simple, Low Cost ORV vehicle registration in an effort to reduce theft”
"Key components of the ORV Management Framework include:
- Expanded definition of ORVs:
- ORV laws apply to a wide range of vehicles operated on Crown land and other public lands.
- ORVs are used for work, leisure and commuting purposes and include snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles (aka “Quads”), off-road motorcycles (i.e. dirt bikes) and side-by-sides (e.g. “Pioneer”).
- Effective November 17, 2014, off-road vehicle owners can obtain a one-time registration for off-road vehicles that is integrated within the pre-existing structure of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia’s (ICBC) motor vehicle registry.
- The registration fee is one-time and user-pay; it will be $48 for an ORV owner to register their ORV and the same applies for subsequent transfers of ownership.
- The improved ORV registration scheme, along with a visible number plate, will better assist officers in identifying irresponsible ORV riders, help track down stolen ORVs and assists in search and rescue efforts in finding lost or injured riders." -Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations. Off Road Vehicle Management Framework, Nov. 2014
- Off-Road Vehicle Management Framework - http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/mof/orv/
- BC Provincial Sales Tax Act (PST) - http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/notices/notice_2013-011.pdf
- Bill 13 2014 - Off-Road Vehicle Act - http://www.leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/3rd_read/gov13-3.htm
- ICBC - http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registration/specialty-vehicles/Pages/Off-road-vehicles.aspx